3 large eggplants
2 large white potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
2 roma tomatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 onion, chopped into 1-inch slices
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon crushed chili pepper
4 tablespoons Caribbean curry powder
2 tablespoons powdered ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Place the eggplants on a baking tray
and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until they collapse
and lose form.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot at medium heat, add the onions
and potatoes, and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the garlic, chili pepper, curry powder, ginger, salt,
and black pepper, and continuing frying and stirring frequently
for 4 minutes. If the mixture begins to burn, add more oil.
4. Add the water, mix well, cover, and continue cooking for
15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water
if the bottom of the pot becomes dry.
5. When the potatoes are soft enough to eat, add the tomatoes
and sugar, and mix well. Continue cooking for 5 minutes or
until the tomatoes are cooked, stirring ever few minutes.
2. Slice the eggplants open and scoop out the flesh with a
spoon. Add the eggplant flesh to the potatoes, mix well, and
turn off the heat. Serve with roti wraps or white rice.