6-8 bell peppers
1 medium yellow onion
12-15 button mushrooms
5 cloves of of garlic
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
11/2 tablespoons basil
11/2 tablespoons oregano
11/2 tablespoons thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup couscous
1. Slice off the tops of the peppers to
2. Dice the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and tops of the peppers.
3. Combine the onions, garlic, tomato sauce (or tomato paste
with its equivalent amount in water), spices, salt, and pepper
in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer over medium-low
heat for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the vegetables, water,
and couscous, and mix.
5. Place the peppers upright on a baking pan and stuff each
pepper with the couscous mixture to just below the top of
the pepper. If some peppers will not stand upright, you may
prop them up against the other peppers.
6. Cover the baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil and
bake for 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees F, until the peppers
are just becoming soft and tender.
7. Remove the aluminum foil and continue baking for 5-10 minutes,
until the peppers are fully cooked but not burned.