2 large bunches of spinach, chopped
4 roma tomatoes, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon honey or sugar
2 sheets of pie or phyllo dough
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large frying pan
and saute the onions for 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, tomato, coriander, cumin, ginger, cayenne,
fenugreek, salt, pepper, and honey or sugar and stir fry for
3. Add the spinach and cook for another minute or two, until
the spinach starts to shrink. 4. Place one sheet of pie or
phyllo dough in a greased pie pan and bake at 400 degrees
for 2-4 minutes, just until the dough has lightly browned.
5. Remove the pie pan from the oven and fill with the spinach
mixture. Pat the spinach down with a spatula to compact it.
Place the other sheet of dough on top, and seal it to the
edges of the bottom sheet by wetting the two edges with water,
folding them over onto each other, and pressing them together
with a fork.
6. Mix the cumin and sesame seeds with 2 tablespoons of vegetable
oil. Spread the seed mixture evenly over the top of the pie.
7. Bake the pie for 10-15 minutes, until the top is browned.
Serve hot or cold.