1 butternut squash
4 cups spinach leaves
6-10 shallots or 1 yellow onion
5-6 medium garlic cloves
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger or 3/4 tablespoon ginger
2 fresh green chili peppers
2/3 cup water
3/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
1 14oz. can of pure coconut milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
1. Peel the squash (best done with a knife)
and cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. In a food processor, blend the garlic, ginger, peppers,
1/2 of the cilantro, and one half of the shallots or onion,
and 3-4 tablespoons of the water, until the mixture forms
a smooth paste.
3. Dice the remaining shallots or onion.
4. Shake the can of coconut milk well. Pour 1/2 of the coconut
milk into a large saucepan or pot and cook over medium heat
until the coconut milk begins to gently boil, about 3 minutes.
Add the curry paste and mix well. Add the remaining coconut
milk, the remaining water, the salt, the brown sugar, the
diced shallots or onion, and the squash.
5. Bring the curry to a gentle boil, and cook until the squash
is just tender, about 12-15 minutes.
6. Add the spinach and cook for another 2-4 minutes, or until
the spinach is done.
7. Remove from the heat and mix in the basil and the remaining
cilantro. Serve with jasmine or other white rice.