1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2
4 roma tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons parsley
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup wine or water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 pound fettuccine
1. Steam the butternut squash for
12-15 minutes, until just soft.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion
for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic and chili flakes, and sauté for another
4. Add the black pepper, bay leaves, oregano, basil, thyme,
and parsley, and mix well.
5. Add the vinegar, wine or water, tomatoes, red pepper, and
salt, and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
6. Add the tomato sauce and sugar or honey, mix well, and
let simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until the red pepper
is tender. Add the butternut squash, mix well, and let simmer
for another 2 minutes.
7. Cook the fettuccine and toss with olive oil. Ladle the
sauce over plates of fettuccine, and serve hot.