1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into
8 roma tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon tumeric
2 tablespoons coriander
2 tablespoons ginger
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups dried and shredded unsweetened coconut
1. Toast the coconut in a frying pan,
stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Remove from the
pan and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large pot at medium heat, add
the onions, and stir occasionally for 2 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, tumeric, coriander, ginger, cumin, red
pepper, and black pepper and mix well. Continue stirring for
3 minutes, adding more oil or water if the spice mixture begins
4. Add the cauliflower and water, mix well, and cover. Continue
cooking for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes and adding
more water if the bottom of the pot gets dry.
5. Add the tomatoes, salt, and sugar, and mix well. Continue
cooking for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes and cauliflower
are well cooked, stirring ever few minutes.
2. Add half of the coconut, mix well, and turn off the heat.
Serve over basmati rice and sprinkle the remaining coconut