14 oz soft tofu
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped chives, dried or fresh
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon syrup or honey
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peas or 1 cup chopped spinach (optional)
1. Combine the basil, syrup or honey,
water, nutritional yeast, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the oil
in a food processor and blend until very smooth.
2. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of
oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions for 4 minutes,
or until translucent.
3. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
4. Crumble the tofu into the frying pan with your hands, breaking
it loosely into small pieces. Add any vegetables. Saute for
2 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add the chives and the basil sauce, and mix well. Cook
for another 2 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Serve with
toast, veggie sausage, or other savory breakfast treats. Top
with any extra fresh basil, chives, cilantro, or mint, if